Welcome to the pond!
Navigation

Who's Online
There are 18 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Search

Login

New User? Sign Up!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you be interested in a new Siege ladder?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 22 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Might be under certain conditions (please post)
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

CeliosOffline
Post subject: T2 Siege Competition Interest  PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 05:45 AM
Site Admin

FF and I have been talking about this for quite a while now so I think it's time we gauged some feedback. Please read through this carefully before replying or voting. I'll try to keep it brief for fluffy's sake Cool

First, T:V was a total flop for the Siege community. For one reason or another, siegers are generally staying away. (*** for T:V Siege)

Second, the Saturday night PU's we've been running for a while now (which we cut for Christmas - they're coming back) were generally pretty successfull. We had some pretty impressive numbers from time to time and I don't doubt that if there was some more consistent gaming going on, we'd bring back a lot more of the old pondies as well.

Third, a lot of people are coming back to T2 because of T:V. I won't pretend it's a massive numbers, but if there's a ~40 person pub (mofo's) that's running almost full constantly. There is still some life there, and the numbers have gone up considerably since T:V shipped.

Now, from FF and my discussions, we've come up with a few key points. These are important, consider them a contract of sorts is something does get done here:
1) The ladder would be anywhere from 5 v 5 to 8 v 8. Depending on how teams do attendance wise, this is our bracket.
2) Players would have to make a concious effort to balance out teams. No one's saying you can't have a good team, but we simply can't have another wow!/-de- routinely accepting forfeits from teams with empty rosters. Also, smaller team numbers would help here. If it takes 5 v 5 rosters to get people to spread out, it would have to be done. Also, since I'm sure people will ask - I think we can limit this phenomenon from happening again far better than before due to the simple fact a lot of the "gods" of ancient Siege don't play anymore.
3) Teams would have to play consistent matches. Hopefully with some more even matchups this should come automatically. If it becomes a problem we have to address, the ladder would already be dead.
4) Maps selection will change based on feedback. No UHB's. Rest assured, the map list will function based on what works. Also, I'm guessing we'd want to see spam dominated maps cut. No offense to those who consider it a valid strategy, but this ladder would have to be sustainable.

What You Have to Do
-Vote here on whether you'd be interested in participating or not.
-Get in touch with old Siege players. Look through your address book and get them to yea or nay their participation.
-If possible, give a yes or no to whether you would have a team able to participate. I'm guessing eX might wanna put something up as well as wow! and hopefully 1 or 2 more.
-We need at least 4 teams to even consider getting this going somehow.
-We need to get CTF players to participate. If my hunch is right and they're willing to come aboard once we get it rolling, we will have to help them out to the best of our abilities.

Thank you!

*** T:V Siege - This is completely unrelated. T:V Siege is still being worked on, it's not meant as a replacement or anything. If anything, it might help boost our awareness a bit going in when T:V Siege goes gold.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
Giant PurpleOffline
Post subject: Re: T2 Siege Competition Interest  PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 05:57 AM
Monkey

I am sure I could grab a couple of people from eightball to do my bidding siege wise.

The ManOffline
Post subject: Re: T2 Siege Competition Interest  PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 09:44 AM
You. Cut my milk.

Sounds fun. I'm all for it.

ZengatoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 01:21 PM
shocklamer

I'll be up for anything after finals are over this week Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Bane GrievverOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 02:17 PM
Helicopter Pilot

As nice as an idea as this is, I don't think there is the consistent player base to keep this going for long. The people I see playing on Mofo's server or Miami Vehicles are just people who just want to play a bit of Tribes 2 without any responsibilities. The rest of us are busy some time or another so matches that end up being 5v4 cause someone didn't show would be more handicapped then a 8v7 and people don't enjoy playing one-sided matches. I think a weekly organized pub (say with organized teams and strats) would satisfy the craving for T2 Siege. Anyway, I'd like to see what you guys can come up with.

FluffyBunniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 03:30 PM
Technical Genius

i would love to participate, if some one could send me a copy of their T2 install disk cus mine is corrupted =(

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
ZengatoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 04:33 PM
shocklamer

And then there are ppl like fluffi... Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
CeliosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 09:21 PM
Site Admin

Bane Grievver wrote:
As nice as an idea as this is, I don't think there is the consistent player base to keep this going for long. The people I see playing on Mofo's server or Miami Vehicles are just people who just want to play a bit of Tribes 2 without any responsibilities. The rest of us are busy some time or another so matches that end up being 5v4 cause someone didn't show would be more handicapped then a 8v7 and people don't enjoy playing one-sided matches. I think a weekly organized pub (say with organized teams and strats) would satisfy the craving for T2 Siege. Anyway, I'd like to see what you guys can come up with.

Yeah, that's all very true. This is all speculative however. We would have to get a few teams on board for it to even be viable to try to bring in 7 man teams.

IMO, people who still play T2 would like to see some "alternate" competition and to try something new. Again, that's all up in the air though. There may not be enough people left to even bother trying.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number 
FluffyBunniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 09:38 PM
Technical Genius

prehaps i should buy t2 again.......now where could i find a game so anchient?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Bane GrievverOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 10:49 PM
Helicopter Pilot

FluffyBunni wrote:

You do realize that T2 is free from Fileplanet now? They released it to help boost the numbers prior to T:V's release

CeliosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 12:23 AM
Site Admin

FluffyBunni wrote:

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?t ... ction=Find

Red ShifterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 01:12 AM
More Unbearable by the Hour

Never gonna happen.

Why not just revive weekly PUs?

VernaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 01:25 AM
demi-god

Red Shifter wrote:
Never gonna happen.

Why not just revive weekly PUs?

^
We've tried to get this started before and it never happen, what makes you think it will work now? Maybe because T:V sucks but I don't know. Anyway I would be willing to get a team together if we need the teams.

But I do think the weekly PUs are better. This way we don't need many people involved and we can still have fun playing t2 siege with all of our friends and without any competition. Competitive siege also takes up a lot of people's time so I think continuing the PUs would be great. <3

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
FluffyBunniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 03:18 AM
Technical Genius

is tribes2_gsi the actual whole game? =O if it is...i LOVE YOU CEL!

CeliosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 04:33 AM
Site Admin

FluffyBunni wrote:
is tribes2_gsi the actual whole game? =O if it is...i LOVE YOU CEL!

It is, so you may let the lovin' begin.

Giant PurpleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 05:52 AM
Monkey

Verna wrote:
Competitive siege also takes up a lot of people's time so I think continuing the PUs would be great. <3

Only takes up too much time if you make it take too much time. Back in the day of (WET) we never practiced, just showed up for matches. Only time it took up was the hour or so to get the match done for.

Oh and just as a slight side thought- Showdown siege or no? I personally don't care, just with showdown you could get some intense maps going, or you could end up playing all night. Just some a thought of mine.

Gogo0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 02:37 PM
GOGOWNAGE

personally i would love to, but since my work schedule doesnt allow me to make it to matches i voted "no" (to not "lie" to the poll that there is a person who can play).

maybe if im lucky i will get fired ^_^
until then...

FluffyBunniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 03:32 PM
Technical Genius

OMG YES I HAVE t2 AGAIN!! IM TOTALY IN!!!!!!!!!!1

AlienSoldier
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 09:10 PM
MS Paint Master

Yes yes YES!!! Time for more Siege.

If you guys can pull this off, this will probably the first time I'll ever play competitively in a tribe or any clan from any game for that matter. I don't know why I didn't join a tribe before when there was still a Siege ladder.

One thing though: I think we all ought to decide classic or base, and as GPM said, showdown or nodown.

If it'll also take money to revive this awesomeness, I have some monies to donate.

EDIT: Can we also get a consensus on what universal day of the week matches will occur on? Saturday would be good.

I heard that google sucks.

FluffyBunniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 10:15 PM
Technical Genius

Hey guies ive gots an issue...so i install t2_gsi and then i try and play and it says "this is out of date and tehre are no updates to update it" So i go and dload the update, then when i try to install the updates, i get an error message "The file C:\Dynamix\tribes2\Readme.txt is not a valid previous versiou and could not be upgraded."

what do i do? =(

Jump to: